Wednesday, May 17, 2006

2006 Toledo May Swiss

I took a carload of players down to Toledo for the May Swiss, since I can't afford the $70 entry fee that Ed Mandell charged for his 2 day tournament this weekend. The other players with me either had the same complaint about the cost, or they were unavailable for 2 day of chess. Anyhow, the tournament is rated already.

I scored 2/4 with wins against Michiganians Scott Rogers and Loren Schwiebert, winning with white and then black respectively in the first two rounds. I lost games 3 and 4 to Paul Maginley with white and then John Gattinger with black. Incidentally, I missed tactics in both games that allowed me to get checkmated. I will post those games before too long with annotations.

The other guys with me were: Al Foord 2/4 +0, Loren Schwiebert 2/4 -17, and my brother Paul Prong 2/4 +90. My brother played 4 people rated at least 200 points above him in each game and scored magnificently against tough competition. This brings his rating up to 1324, and more in line with his actual skill level.

Finally, it seems my scoresheet is not accurate enough to reconstruct my April game against Nathaniel Bromberg. This is only the 2nd time in 231 USCF rated games that this has happened to me. If I am able to get a hold of his scoresheet, then I will post the game with annotations at a later date.

No comments: