Thursday, January 26, 2006

More on the 2005 MCA Action

It looks like the 2005 MCA Action Championship is finally in the USCF system correctly, although there remains a small ratings glitch that will likely be corrected after the next rerate. To recap: the MCA Action was originally submitted for rating with only 5 rounds as the 6th round was apparently omitted from the rating report. As you may recall from a previous post, I gained 17 rating points taking me from 1865 to 1882 due to this error. Then the tournament was sent in again with all 6 rounds and rated a second time. This increased my rating from 1882 to 1891. It seems that USCF has now deleted the 5 round tournament from their database. However, my rating remains 1891, and I guess it will stay there until the March rerate ahead of the April rating supplement. However, I think I have already attained the 9 points that I need to make 1900 based on my current rating of 1891. This would allow me to move from a floor of 1600 to 1700. (A rating floor is the lowest rating that a player is allowed to have. This prevents players losing intentionally to gain entry into lower classes where they will dominate the field and win big prizes.)

Some questions remain, as I am not totally certain of how the USCF system works. The biggest question I have is this"

If I make 1900 and establish a floor of 1700, then will that floor be maintained even after the rerate indicates that I have not made 1900 yet?

No comments: